Auto Generated Gallery

Return to: CF-100 rockets page 1

Weapons Practice Unit (WPU) T-Birds on the Cold Lake ramp at the start of another training day, November 1958. 425 Squadron CF-100s are seen in the background. (“Turbo” Tarling)


WPU T-33 tow aircraft with two radop targets stowed in their baskets. The Del Mar system used on T-33s and CF-100s included two radops, two launcher receptacles, two air-driven tow reels, and cockpit control boxes. (DND)


Another view of T-33 21118 over the air weapons range near Cold Lake. The WPU crest appeared on the starboard nose of unit aircraft. (DND)


CF-100 tow aircraft 18508 at Cold lake; red nose band, wing tips, tailplane and radops, circa 1959–60. (Jim Craik)


LAC Booth carries a radop target to be installed on a WPU CF-100, Fourth annual ADC rocket meet, June 1960, Cold Lake. (DND)


F/Os Ron Holden and John Cucheran are aboard this WPU CF-100 Mk. 5 firing six rockets from 3-tube practice launchers. First annual ADC rocket meet, Cold Lake, September 1957. (DND)


Cpl. Al Ewing places a radop target in its receptacle on a 4 Wing T-33 at the Air Weapons Unit in Decimomannu, Sardinia, September 1958. The trailing portion of the fins were offset, which caused the target to rotate about its longitudinal axis when released into the airstream. In the radop nose was a small swivel allowing rotation to occur without twisting the tow wire. Assisting is Cpl. Joe Johannessen seated by a container which holds the spool of wire for the reeling device. (DND)


Refuelling and rearming 419 Squadron CF-100s in the 90°F-plus Deci weather. (DND)


LAC Jack Studds and Cpl. Arneil remove the starboard 3-tube rocket launcher on a 419 Squadron CF-100. (DND)


Although rockets were loaded in wing practice launchers on the flight line, they were not readied for firing until the aircraft was about to take off. Arming was performed on the runway by “plugging in” the rockets to complete the electrical circuit. Running toward a 419 Squadron CF-100 is LAC Grasdal. (DND)


LAC Ron Maddack of the 4 Wing Photo Section removes movie film from an N9 wing camera for immediate processing and assessment. (DND)


423 Squadron aircraft is armed with a 7-tube rocket pod at Deci, circa 1960. Nose-mounted cine cameras were standard by this time at the Air Weapons Unit. (Bob Bromley)


18370 fires a salvo of 2.75-inch rockets. The 7-tube practice pods became available in 1960 providing a two-pass capability on each sortie, six rockets being fired per pass. (Bob Bromley)


F/Os Froom and Ovington flying 18450 of 440 Squadron unleash a full combat load over the Sardinia range.


Armament techs check rockets in storage at 2 Wing, Grostenquin, France. (DND)


Installing a rocket pod on a 445 Squadron aircraft at 1 Wing, Marville, France, August 1958. (DND)


Some of the last air-to-air 423 Squadron photos taken by the RCAF were of these two CF-100 Mk. 4Bs on October 9, 1962. All four CF-100 squadrons in Europe were disbanded December 31, 1962. (DND)


A load of rocket pods destined for 428 Squadron Mk. 5s, Uplands, March 16, 1960. (DND)


The major features of the CF-100 Mk. 5 high-altitude variant are readily evident in this dramatic view of two 432 Squadron aircraft from Bagotville, August 16, 1957. A judicious weight reduction program deleted the fuselage gun pack, gun sight and JATO fittings of the Mk. 4. Wing tip and tailplane extensions were incorporated. (DND)


Another in a series of exceptional photos taken on August 16, 1957. Here, 18539 slides into formation for a close-up high over the cloud deck. (DND)


It appears you have Javascript disabled.
Please enable for a richer browsing experience.

Return to: CF-100 rockets page 1